Great White Snark: Curiouser and curiouser (only thing going through my head today).

Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Curiouser and curiouser (only thing going through my head today).

Today was an odd day. Not entirely unpleasant, just...odd.

I can't go into certain details because this is the kind of humor that comes at the expense of others. But broadly:
-I laughed harder in my Survey of Rock Music class today than I have laughed in a long, long time. Laughter hurts so good.
-Charlie Daniels is a badass fiddle player, and there are people out there who will CUT YOU if you dare to disagree (also note: "The Devil Went Down to Georgia" is only $0.99 on iTunes).
-Awkward lunches are awkward and I am thrilled to be single. I went to the doctor's the other day and he was like, "So, Mary, are you dating?"
"No."
*curious look* "And that's...okay?"
"Quite so. Should I medically concerned about chronic singleness?"
*cue laughter* And no, you guys, being single is NOT a disease.
-Good friends are awesome and I suggest you all get one. Preferably ones who laugh too loud, bestow excellent hugs and give you crazy-awesome advice. They're all the rage this season.
-I made a discovery that was both frabjous and...elementary. I found that the Lewis Carroll section is RIGHT NEXT to the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle section in the library. It's good to know that, should I ever need to, I can potentially wile away hours reading The Diaries of Lewis Carroll (Volumes 1 AND 2!) and The Sherlock Holmes Scrapbook without ever getting up off the floor.

On a semi-serious note, I had this moment today. I'm not sure how to put it without sounding like a cheesy, self-help, self-proclaimed "guru," but it was kind of this moment of getting back in touch with the child-Mary inside. I think we all have a "Little Us" inside and a lot of time we lock them up and tell them to shut up because things like playing dress-up and pretending to defeat pirates will not pay the rent. I didn't do any of those. Rent-paying included.

But I did go to the library to do some research for a paper. I love my major and I love getting lost in the Victorian lit section. Anyway, so, I'm in the library, lipgloss long washed off from eating and laughing, hair in a messy messy bun. No skirts, dresses, or leggings, just jeans and converse. I got all sweaty running up the stairs so I took off my sweater too. It was pretty much basic Mary in a tank top, jeans and glasses. I'd never wear that out of the house, but it was the most comfortable I've been in a long time. I may do it more often.

I had a great time perusing all the rows and getting lost, having to use the step-stools and laughing out loud when I STILL couldn't reach the books, and sitting cross-legged on the floor skimming pages. That's the kind of stuff I used to do and enjoy in third grade and it was refreshing and reassuring to know that I still enjoy it now.

I love dressing up and playing with makeup like I did when I was a kid, and I do it now for the same reason. But it's so easy to get lost in making impressions and doing these things for superficial reasons. I encourage EVERYONE to experiment in fashion, makeup, hair and other forms of aesthetic self-expression. Just don't lose touch with the Little You inside. They like to come out to play sometimes, too.



{PS: I had a dream last night that I was kidnapped by an air-balloon pirate ship. Robert Downey Jr. was the Captain (and Alyssa Milano was the first mate. Wtf, I've never even seen anything with Alyssa Milano in it, but whatever, we were bff's) and we were going to the Island of Puppies. I am so not joking. I wish I was. Floating pirate ships, RDJ, and puppies are apparently my deep, dark, subconscious desires.

Awesomesauce. }

No comments:

Post a Comment