Great White Snark: You see, but you do not observe.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

You see, but you do not observe.


Look what I got in the mail!!!

"...all the rights and privileges thereunto appertaining." EXCEPT A JOB.

No, but seriously, I'm quite thrilled. I'm now "legit." And it just feels good to hold the fruit of four years hard labor in my hands. I have something to PHYSICALLY show for it. I mean, it's kind of a measly something, but it's something nonetheless.


If you hear of anything at all in the fields of editing, publishing or anything otherwise bookish, please let me know.


Work: fine.
Family: fine.
Social life: nonexistent.



In other news, a colleague and acquaintance of mine (who's "off the grid" and scarily brilliant) introduced me to the BBC series "Sherlock." I mean, I'd known about it but I had been incredibly skeptical, because the idea of Sherlock Holmes existing outside of Victorian England was absolutely horrifying. HOWEVER, I have to say, that of all the adaptations I've seen, this one is, oddly enough, one of the closest to the books--in that they sneak in sly references to many things and use (or adapt) quotes outright. And it works! I didn't think you could ever take the, "I'd be lost without my Boswell" quote and work it into live action without a fair amount of corniness. But they did it! And it's great, because even though they've changed things to fit in with 21st century England, key elements of the original stories are still there. Only instead of firing off telegrams every 10 minutes, Holmes shoots texts. He also shoots bullets in the wall (per canon). Other canon elements: the riding crop, Watson's army stint (and inconsistent wounds attained therein), the Baker Street Irregulars, Holmes' substance reliance (only he uses nicotine patches instead of pipes...LOL), and a whole slew of other sneaky but ingenious little references.

Cumberbatch is a brilliant young Holmes, and Martin Freeman (who's going to be Bilbo in the upcoming Hobbit movie) is a really great Watson. The mysteries, though based on the originals, are fresh and exciting, and each episode stands as almost a mini-movie--they're that good.

I highly recommend it. I'd been going through an awful Holmesian dry patch (there's only so many times you can re-read the original stories, and almost all of the later pastiches are so terrible they make me want to bash my own head in), and this was the PERFECT fix. You can watch the first three episodes online at PBS's website:
here!


So since my life is so blindingly exciting, tell me, what are my readers up to these days?

No comments:

Post a Comment