Great White Snark

Monday, May 21, 2012

So my new job is going well! It turns out proofreading is very suitable to my personality. I get to sit in a quiet room all day, alone, look at writing, and tell everyone what they're doing wrong. Perfect fit, right?

Things I Like About My New Job
  • Getting to dress up. It's not mandatory. In fact, most people in my office wear jeans and t-shirts. But I've always preferred to be overdressed than underdressed, and besides, I'm always hopeful that maybe a publisher or something will come in and be like, "GOOD GOD, what good taste she has! Clearly I must hire her and pay her $120,000 a year to edit in my office!" It can't hurt, right?
  • High heels. I am so not a heels person. But I've been wearing them because they look pretty. Most days I change out of them at lunch, but it's the thought that counts. 
  • Getting my own office. See?
    My computer

    Some pics I have.

    My Poe cup (for collecting the staples I take out of papers I edit) and my purple skull pen.

  • Thirty minute lunches and two breaks. I've never had longer than a 15 minute break, so this is nice.
  • Sitting down!
  • Editing. I just like doing this. 
  • I get to use a red pen. A LOT. 
  • Learning. It's only my second week and I know so much more today than I did a week ago. I'm so glad that I got the opportunity to work in an office and see how things work! And I like being on this side of the writing industry better than the actual writing part. I mean, I still like to write, and one day I'd like to publish at least one book. But this works well for me, too.

Things I Dislike About My New Job
  • My biggest and only real gripe with this job is the commute. It takes me between 30-45 minutes to get there in the morning and 45-65 minutes to get home in the afternoon. Which sucks, because it's technically not that far, but tell that to Orlando traffic. 
  • I haven't figured out time management yet. I've never had things where it was like, "Get up at 6:30am and don't come home till 6:30pm and then figure out what to do with the rest of the day." I'm still trying to figure out how to balance work, the stuff that needs to get done (like laundry and cleaning and caring for Bix and Sherman) and the stuff I'd like to do (reading, shopping, sleeping. These always get pushed to the bottom of the list).
  • There are stretches of time where there's no work to be done in the office, and I'm technically not allowed to read fun books in between. This makes me sad.
  
Overall, it's going well. It's extremely unextraordinary, but I guess that's okay. For now. It's a means to an end.


You know how superheroes have the boring alter-egos with paper-pushing day jobs and a sensible wardrobe? I feel like the boring alter-ego. 
Only I don't have superpowers and a spandex suit with a cape to spice things up.

No comments:

Post a Comment