Great White Snark: I need to rant for a minute.

Thursday, November 10, 2011

I need to rant for a minute.


That's what blogs are for, right?


I am OVER people with abominable manners. I'm not talking people who forget to say "please" or "excuse me." I'm just talking about people who take out their anger and frustrations on random strangers. Random strangers here being me.

It is NOT my own personal fault if we can't buy any of your clothes at Plato's, especially when I've already explained to you IN DETAIL what it is we're looking for and how the process works. This is no excuse to yell at me, accuse me of lying and wasting your time, and then storm out of the store and ruin two displays on the way out.

It's also my right and my prerogative to let my dogs out IN MY OWN YARD late at night. I understand you're walking and this is your neighborhood, too. I always leash Bixby because he's eager and tends to run after people and jump on them (in greeting. If you've met Bix you know he doesn't have an aggressive bone in his fat little body). But my older two, if it's not a busy time in the neighborhood (early morning, when the school bus comes, early evening, etc.), I usually just let out front IN MY YARD so they can go pee. DO NOT yell at me if Millie comes meandering over to you. She was not running, jumping, growling or barking. She pranced in your general direction. Don't tell me how to care for my own pets when you don't have any of your own.

There are myriads of other instances in my daily life in which people just absolutely fail at sensibility and common courtesy. And I'm not even on the worst end of it. I can't tell you how many times I've witnessed people screaming at their hair stylists and nail techs like they're freaking GOD and everyone else is just put on earth as peons to serve them. GET OFF YOUR HIGH HORSE. You breathe the same air as the rest of us and your blood is red just like everyone else's. People make mistakes. Sometimes things, like dogs, act or react beyond our realm of control. For God's sake, just be UNDERSTANDING. You don't have to fart unicorns and piss rainbows. I'm just asking for some empathy and compassion from humanity at large.

Being rude and aggressive with total strangers is something I just DON'T understand. I have been to hell and back quite a few times, and I still manage to function like a bearable member of society. I certainly never take it out on people I don't even know. We might not be rolling in the dough or have fancy titles or anything, but my mother is a lady and she raised me to be one, too. Meaning that you always act with the utmost dignity and decency towards others, even (and especially) people in positions lower than your own. Discrepancies arise, and it's your right and responsibility to ask for fair treatment or a correction when a mistake has been made. But you do so with grace and dignity. NOT yelling and screaming at people whose fault it most certainly is not.

Also, you might think just because you've never seen me before you can get away with this kind of behavior. But in a couple of instances, I've seen you before. I've heard you talk the talk and seen you NOT walk the walk. Be careful of the first impressions you leave on people, and don't think that no one's watching you so it's okay to act egregiously. You may very well be seen by people who know who you are and what you're about. Or supposedly about.

PLEASE, people. Just have some decency. I know life is frustrating and I know time is valuable and I know that shit happens. But there is a right and wrong way to handle every situation, and if most people would just take a deep breath and consider what they're about to do before they do it, I think the world would be a much more pleasant place to be.

1 comment:

  1. I'm clicking the imaginary "AMEN" button here. Wow. Intentional rudeness (meanness, snobbery, etc.) is in my top three pet peeves. It's disgusting. There's really no excuse for it. Sorry about your experiences at work. They NEED to sort out their priorities...

    ReplyDelete