Great White Snark

Friday, March 9, 2012




I love this quote. I have it taped to my door so I see it every day, and it just serves as a good reminder to be careful with ourselves. We are usually our own biggest critics--everyone else who you think is judging you is usually too absorbed in worrying about themselves to notice what you're up to. We tend to expect too much of ourselves, judge ourselves too harshly, and compare ourselves with the people around us.

Take a deep breath and realize all the unique gifts and flaws that make you uniquely YOU. I used to HATE the fact that I'm a worrier and a bit of a Type A. I'm laughably paranoid, and I get anxious over the most ridiculous things. I used to compare myself with my carefree friends and wish I was able to just go with the flow like they did. I won't lie--there are still times I wish this was true. But generally, I've accepted the fact that I will over-analyze a situation, think of the worst case scenario first, and worry my head over the silliest things. AND THAT'S OKAY. It's part of who I am. It has always been thus, and it will always be.

Things are really discouraging right now as young adults. I know this. Searching for jobs is utterly depressing. We, as a generation, are overeducated, overworked and underpaid. We are the first generation since the Great Depression who have done worse economically than our parents. Things are really rough right now, and it's so easy to be down on yourself. But don't be. Focus on the things you ARE doing. If you're in school, working on a degree, going to trade school, working and saving up--all of these are extremely worthy uses of your time! And if you're not and wish you were, make it happen! This is a brilliant time for being in school. Lots of my friends have graduated then gone back for more education simply because of the job market. And there are jobs out there. They are probably not the glamorous jobs of your dreams, but they do exist if you're willing to work hard and seek them out. Don't let anything (especially yourself!) stand in the way of accomplishing your goals!

Statistically and historically, things will get better. The economy didn't crash overnight and it won't be fixed overnight. In the meantime, focus on doing something which fulfills you and remember to be kind to yourself. Take that time, even if it's 30 minutes, to do something you love (walk the dog, sit in the sun, read a book, drink a good cup of tea, etc.). You absolutely deserve it, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.


Hang in there, guys! I know things are discouraging sometimes...I need a pick-me-up every so often, and I hope that this quote can be that little lift in your day like it is in mine.
:)






{On a somewhat but not quite as faux-inspirational note, Plato's in Oviedo is hiring! We need someone with 5-7 days availability, so if you're interested leave a comment or contact me!}

No comments:

Post a Comment