Great White Snark: "We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger, We the youthful sinewy races, all the rest on us depend..."

Thursday, June 9, 2011

"We must march my darlings, we must bear the brunt of danger, We the youthful sinewy races, all the rest on us depend..."


Image and video hosting by TinyPic
My Mom and I came across a really cool website/organization called Anysoldier.com. It's such an incredible thing that I had to share it with you guys.

Basically, it's an organization wherein the troops can write in and request things that they need--and you'd be surprised with how little they've actually been provided. It's really neat, too, because you can give them your email address and they'll send you letters and photos and stuff if they have the time and capability. All branches of the military can write in (Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force and Coast Guard) and you can search for a troop to support using all sorts of criteria--where the troop is originally from (my Mom was insistent her group be from Florida), if they have women/men/both, what branch of the military, what they need (ie: books, hygiene products, etc.). It's pretty cool.

It's also really, really eye-opening. You know that life is going to be hard in the military, but what you don't expect is for these people to be requesting basic things like food, socks, tampons (SRSLY?? NO ONE GIVES YOU THESE??), razors, etc. These are all the things that we here just take for granted, and they have to go for MILES through land mines and sandstorms to get to their PX (the general store on bases), and even if they do go oftentimes these items are either way expensive or unavailable.
{I'm not even joking about the sandstorms and land mines. Those are legit from letters I read this morning.}

Some of the troops are 1000 strong and living in a relatively decent base with electricity, the capability to cook, televisions, etc. Others are literally three people living in a hummer and crossing the desert (I read one such letter today). It's just really...I don't know. It kind of leaves you speechless. It's certainly humbling to realize that these people are living worse off than my guinea pig, and I owe everything that I enjoy to them.

All this to say: PLEASE check out the website. Also, I'm going to have an ongoing box to fill up with stuff gradually. If you have ANYTHING you can or want to contribute, please let me know in the comments and I'll hook you up with my email address. I'll even come pick it up from you. Just please don't hesitate to let me know if you have anything you're willing to send over there.

Commonly requested items:
-Deodorant (men and women)
-Sunscreen
-Body spray (women)
-Dryer sheets
-Snacks such as dried fruit, nuts, crackers (like Goldfish and Cheezits), microwave popcorn (for those with a micro) and non-meltable candy (gummy bears, Twizzlers, etc.)
-Razors
-"Feminine products" (we all know what this means)
-Gold Bond or baby powder
-Socks (the high kind...they wear boots)
-T-shirts in all sizes
-Books
-Magazines
-Movies
-Card games (like Phase 10 or Uno)
-Stationery and envelopes
-Chap stick


Even if you guys have like A bag of popcorn, or a travel size body lotion you've used once, or a bag of razors you never opened...let me know. I'd be more than happy to come and grab it from you to throw in a box.

The other most HIGHLY requested thing is letters--they LOVE letters more than anything else. So even if you can't afford to spare any physical items, PLEASE consider getting an address and just sending some letters to these people. Or write a letter and let me know if you want me to send it over.

Anyway, this is kind of a big deal and I really think you should at least consider doing something for our troops (especially with the 4th of July coming up. COME ON.). As I've mentioned before, PLEASE comment if you have any questions, comments, or things to donate and I will get in touch with you. Thanks, generous readers!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment