Great White Snark: Though we adore men individually, we agree that as a group they're rather stupid.

Friday, February 26, 2010

Though we adore men individually, we agree that as a group they're rather stupid.




I got points deducted off a paper for using "sexist language." I said "mankind." Oops.

Let me be frank here. I dislike men. I dislike more women than men, but that's besides the point (I like puppies and marine mammals best in case you were wondering). I believe in equal rights for women, for female empowerment, for females being strong and independent. The Feminine Mystique is one of my favorite pieces of nonfiction literature. And I see absolutely no problem whatsoever saying "mankind" or "for the good of man." I have no qualms whatsoever about "man" being used as a synonym for humanity as a whole. And I think it's absurd that I am being forbidden from using so-called "sexist" language. If I had said, "And furthermore, Mary Wollstonecraft Shelley should've put down her pen and gone back into the kitchen to make a sandwich for William Godwin," I could see that being marked down as sexist. But "mankind" is what we are. Our species is man. Homo sapiens is man. Women are homo sapiens. Therefore, "man" used a whole, includes male and female humans.

{I just don't see the point. It's absurd. Seriously, I'm sorry for whatever unforunate men grieved you so heinously in your life that you are now reduced to marking down your students for using supposedly sexist language, but the best revenge is a life well lived. Which means being okay with the word "mankind," because regrettably, you're still a part of it. }




ETA: I really respect this professor and quite enjoy the class. They also exhibit a really admirable knowledge on their topic and seem to quite enjoy teaching. This rant is not so much about the individual teacher, but rather about the ridiculousness of this obsession with being politically correct, to the point that language which has been in use for ages is now being considered offensive. And I, being part of the so-called "offended party," am more offended by the PC-ness of the whole thing than anything else. Just so you know. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment