Great White Snark: "It's not really goodbye, after all."

Monday, July 18, 2011

"It's not really goodbye, after all."



I feel like I have to do a little thing to close all this out. "Little thing" here meaning "movie review."

I don't want to say too much since I'm already one of those a-holes who spoils movies (sorry, Michael!), but I will say the following:

-It was REALLY good. Such an awesome ending to a phenomenal film series.

-Did it do the book justice? The parts included in the film were definitely done amazingly well. They did leave out some major plotpoints (or at least they were major in my mind). I understand that there just simply isn't time to cram everything into a movie though, so given what they had to work with, yes, absolutely, they did a wonderful job. You really need to read the books though.

-Professor McGonagall is a BAMF. She kind of kept herself on the DL for the last few movies being all like
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
but then she BROUGHT IT in this one. And it's even more touching because Dame Maggie Smith has been battling cancer throughout the filming of the last few movies. And she OWNED. So mad props to her.

-That being said, ALL THE AWARDS TO ALAN RICKMAN. ALL OF THEM. The HP movie franchise has never won an Oscar, which is like "okay whatevs," but omg, Alan Rickman, you wrecked my heart (apparently his performance generated some Oscar buzz. So ironic, because he's been in some of the most iconic films ever, and "greasy-haired, hook-nosed Professor Snape" might get him an Oscar nod.). The Prince's Tale was done, in my opinion, in a heartbreakingly perfect way. I bawled. Thank GOD no one sat next to me. This, to me, is like the whole story of Harry Potter. I mean, there's the "kill Voldemort" bit and all that, but this just adds something to the story (SOMETHING LITERARY) that makes it like, "whoa." So anyway, well done on that.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

-Was it epic enough? Um, yes. For those of you who disliked the world's longest camping trip Part 1, this should more than make up for it. It literally starts right in the middle of the action. There's way less emotional drama crap and, actually, very little "sitting around and discussing things" (which is almost always for the audience's benefit). But yes, definitely a perfect climax. And plenty emotional for the pathos-addicts among us.

-I feel like I need to give a nod to the actors and actresses who played the Weasley's and the Malfoy's, too. Kudos, Weasley fam, for making us believe that you guys were crazy close-knit (Julie Walters, Rupert Grint, and Oliver Phelps, you guys were amazing) and that this battle (I am so struggling to not be spoileriffic here!) tore your family apart. Awesome job.
And Helen McCrory did an awesome job as Narcissa Malfoy. I've always loved her portrayal of Narcissa (and Mrs. Radcliffe in Becoming Jame. Anyone? Anyone?) because she gave her the level of complexity I feel her character deserves. The moment when she lies to Voldemort is the turning point of the whole Malfoy family. That being said, I so wish they'd gotten their more redemptive moment. But I've waxed eloquent about this before and will shut up before I've wasted three paragraphs on something nobody else cares about.

-Also, how about that awkward moment when Voldemort tries to hug you?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
My whole theatre erupted in laughter. Oh, Tom Felton. I think I love you.

-THE EPILOGUE. I'm trying very hard not to spoil this for people who haven't read the book or seen the movie yet, but I'm not sure how I feel about this. I mean, granted, if it were up to me, none of those people would've ended up with each other (which is why if I'd written the books, about 30 people would've read them). But those are just semantics. I loved it in the book, and I'm not sure how I felt about it on screen. Daniel Radcliffe was the only one who looked somewhat age-appropriate. Rupert Grint, Bonnie Wright, and Emma Watson all looked the same to me. And then there's the issue of Draco Malfoy suddenly being 1000 years old. He's seriously like a walking fossil. Wtf, makeup department? The kiddies were cute though, and I LOVED how they used John Williams' original score from the ending of The Sorcerer's Stone to close out the whole thing. So if for no reason other than an epic music win, I think I liked it.


My TV dinner has now been sitting in the microwave for like, an hour while I wrote this. So I should probably go and get that. But anyway, yes, movie = good, and one of these days I'll post something about my life. Because it's soo interesting and I know you all are absolutely apoplectic with desire to know the scandalicious details of my innermost doings. ;)


What did you think of the HP movie? If you haven't seen it yet, wtf, get off your lazy derrières and go. Tomorrow. Regal Cinemas has $5 Tuesdays, so you have no excuse.

No comments:

Post a Comment